Number of participants
The webinar was present the outcomes of the study on trade and gender in Arab states conducted by the AEISD-UNDP, and will provide an opportunity for different stakeholders to engage in the discussion that supports mainstreaming gender into trade policies and that supports women to benefit from trade liberalization and to be engaged in trade activities.
Key topics of the Workshop include:
- The status of gender, trade and business in the Arab states, including the statistical profile for Arab countries, demographic characteristics and labor force participation and the main gender indicators as well as the trade and business indicators;
- An overview on the trade, legislations and strategies in the Arab states. Including an overview of the Arab trade in goods and services and trade and gender related legislations and strategies;
- An overview of the Pan Arab Free Trade Area, Agadir agreement and the Arab trade in services agreement;
- Presentation of success stories on the engagement of women in the private sector in Morocco and Egypt and the impact of COVID-19 on their business.
The Webinar on “Trade and Gender in the Arab region – Case study of Egypt and Morocco” aims to pursue the following objectives:
- To achieve a better understanding of the relationship between trade and gender, the positive and negative impact of trade liberalization on women, and how women can be a main player in trade activities and contribute to the economic growth of countries.
- To get knowledge on the status of gender, trade and business in the Arab states through understanding the statistical profile for Arab countries, the demographic characteristics and labor force participation in Arab countries.
- To achieve a better understanding about the implications on trade and gender related legislations and strategies on enhancing the role of women in economic and trade activities.
- To increase the understanding on how the current Arab agreements on trade in goods and services can support women engagement in trade activities.
- To exchange experiences of success stories for women engagement in trade activities in Egypt and Morocco, potential for development and the challenges facing them with the required policy reform.